Kirby Super Star is a Japanese game published in 1996 for Nintendo’s Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES). The game was developed by HAL Laboratory and the release for the United States came in the autumn of 1996. One year later the game was officially released in Europe. The game was later on remade for the Nintendo DS, but was renamed as Kirby Super Star Ultra.
The game was part of the three Super Nintendo Entertainment System games using the SA-1 Chip, along with Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars and Kirby’s Dream Land 3.
The game was a classic 16-bit platforming video release in which the main character, Kirby, can move left, right, up and down on a 3D plane. He must avoid touching environmental hazards and enemies with their own set of attacks. Kirby has a health meter and when his life reaches the minimum level, he returns to the latest save point. This happens until Kirby loses all his lives, in which case the game ends and the player has to start all over again.
The game allows Kirby to copy the abilities of his enemies and then perform a wider range of attacks thanks to these abilities. According to the ability he is using, he turns in different colors. Kirby can also call for his “helper”, who is always around ready to get in the game and help the main character fight enemies. The game can also be played in multi-player mode, allowing a second person to connect by using an additional controller, so the game is a great two-player adventure as well.
There are a total of seven main games in Kirby Super Star:
- Spring Breeze is the first one and it is based on the first Kirby remake, called Kirby’s Dream Land for Game Boy. It uses Kirby Super Star’s gameplay and graphics.
- Dyna Blade is the second one. Dyna Blade is a giant bird disturbing Dream Land’s peace and Kirby tries to stop her.
- Gourmet Race is the third installment of the series. Dedede challenges Kirby to race in a who-can-get-more-food race. Lots of platform elements are included in this release.
- The Great Cave Offensive is the fourth game, featuring Kirby’s adventure after he falls into a cave.
- Revenge of Meta Knight is the 5th game, featuring Kirby trying to destroy Meta Knight’s battleship before Meta, the villain, can conquer Dream Land.
- Milky Way Wishes is the sixth game. Sun and Moon are fighting around planet Popstar. The plot is a bit more complicated, but features Kirby as well.
- The Arena is the final game of Kirby Super Star and requires the player to fight every boss in the game.
The game sold over 1 million copies in Japan and scored an 82.1% mark on GameRankings. Electronic Gaming Monthly gave the game an average score of 8.63 out of 10.
Other games by
Kirby Super Star (Kirby's Fun Pak) DownloadsKirby Super Star (Kirby's Fun Pak) download
ProTip: As always, Whispy Wood puffs at Kirby and drops apples on him; make fast work of this boss by sending in your helper.
An 8-bit star achieves 16-bit superstardom with this awesome game. After goofin' around with golf and Tetris-style games last year, Kirby returns to the easy run-n-munch gameplay that made him famous. Superstar compiles eight new games: six in the traditional Dreamland style, plus a racer and a simple speed- reflex game.
There's more to do than ever because now the pink puffball can create helpers with special powers, and new chewable enemies have new powers for Kirby to adopt. The perfect execution of the varied controls leads to simple-but-charming fun.
Many enemies now require double hits, so don't relax after you nail 'em once.
Everything's improved over the 8-bit games (32 megs will do that). The graphics are sharp and colorful, and the spirited music changes constantly. If you haven't gone Kirbying lately, bask in the light of this superstar.
It's a Kirby derby! This game packs eight Kirby games such as Spring Breeze, Gourmet Race, DynaBlade, Megaton Punch, and Samurai Kirby. Kirby can assume the abilities of 24 other characters and he.. .err, it can create a helper that either the computer or another player can control. Now if only someone knew what Kirby was!