The Prince of Persia, one of gamedom's most famous heroes, has been called into service once again. Jaffar, a vile Prime Minister, has snatched the Princess and holds her hostage in the Sultan King's palace. His sinister plot is to take over the country in the King's absence. As the Prince, you must save the Princess and vanquish Jaffar.
Prince of Persia, one of the best known game titles of all time, has made an appearance on almost every PC and video game platform. At long last, Kona- mi brings us the Super Nintendo version. Fans of the game will rejoice when they plug in this game, hear the first haunting strains of bewitching Middle Eastern music, and catch their first glimpse of the lonely princess awaiting rescue on the castle parapets. This translation is a feast for the eyes, the ears, and all your other senses. It's just about the ultimate in challenge for expert gamers!
For the uninitiated, the Prince's task is to battle his way to the Princess by making his way through 20 vertically-and horizontally-scrolling, side-view castle levels. Prince of Persia veterans will recognize some of the levels, but also find some entirely new ones. The quest begins in the bowels of the castle prison, where the Prince has been locked away to rot with more than a few fellow unfortunates. To find the door that leads to the next level, our hero makes his way through a winding labyrinth of tunnels, passageways, ledges, deadly drops, gates, spear traps, demonic pendulums, walls of flame, and other evils almost too horrible to contemplate.
- Your first task in Level 1 is to find the Sword. Survival is impossible without it. When you reach the first passageway, where you must move left or right, move left. Go left through the first three gates. Drop down the left side of the hole in the floor and climb down all four ledges. Move left and climb down to the wooden walkway. Run right until you find the Sword!
- Prince of Persia players will find some levels more familiar than others. Level 3 contains the famous "leap of faith". Open the gate to the far left with the panel on the far right tower. Then RUN and jump as fast as you can. If you're quick, you may just make it through the gate.
Slice and Dice
Alas, sinister foes and minions of the evil Jaffar also lie in wait for the Prince. He'll encounter lowly Soldiers, fat but crafty Politicians, Knights in Golden Armor, Skeleton Warriors, and even his own a ego, the Shadow Man. The only way to defeat any of these foes is through sword-slashing, head-to-head battle -- and a hefty dose of quick wits.
- Use the terrain around you to finish off your tougher sword-fighting opponents. For example, try to push a soldier off onto some spikes. Skeletons are invincible. One way to defeat them is to knock them off ledges. They'll fall and smash the pieces.
- The easiest way to survive a sword fight is to stand still and let your foe attack you. When they get within striking distance, quickly slash them. Repeat this procedure until they're done for.
Fortunately, the Prince is agile, strong, and clever beyond compare. Unluckily for him, you're in control! The Prince's repertoire of moves is fairly large, complicated and somewhat difficult to learn. It's up to you to master the Prince's many moves and guide him through his perilous journey. The Super Nintendo version captures the animated movement that's always been a standout quality of the game. The Prince looks real as he runs, jumps, climbs, crouches, shuffles, crosses swords with enemies, and skids to a halt through the castle passageways.
- Always hold down Up on your control pad while you jump. If you miss your jump, or if it's a long jump, your hands will usually graze the edge of the ledge and grab onto it. Then you can pull yourself up to safety.
Luckily for you, the Prince apparently had good Karma in another life (and he's had a lot of them)! Scattered here and there throughout the castle are powerful Medicines that restore his health. Of course, Jaffar has also left dangerous potions to tempt you. Poison takes away part of your life, and the Inverter potion turns the screen upside down.
Successfully negotiating the palace labyrinth requires quick wits, puzzle-solving ability, nimble fingers, calm nerves, and PATIENCE. Advanced and Expert gamers have the best shot at rescuing the Princess, although, Intermediate and Beginning gamers will also enjoy the game (if they're not easily frustrated). Those inexperienced in the ways of the Prince should definitely seek guidance through the five levels of the Training Mode.
With everyone's stress level in mind, Konami has kindly included a password feature that enables you to access your current password at any time during the game. You can also check your best time on any given level, as well as your total time on the overall game. To beat the game, you must finish all 20 levels in 120 minutes.
Use this password to skip Level 1 and begin at Level 2 armed with the sword and ready for battle: BK1MQEL
Haunting, gorgeous tunes, and eerie beautifully animated graphics create a beautiful background. Intricate game play that challenges your wits and dexterity finish off the picture. Konami's done it again! Now get going... she's waiting and the sands in the hourglass are running out!