Orge Battle: Limited Edition
|a game by||Quest|
|Editor Rating:||8/10, based on 1 review|
|Rate this game:|
One of the most addicting RPGs of the year, Ogre Battle: Limited Edition casts a spell on the PlayStation, intoxicating gamers with a deep story line, impossible-to-put-down gameplay, and a movielike musical score that's been remastered since the game's 16-bit cult-classic days.
The Ogre Strikes Back
Limited Edition's gameplay and story line are identical to those of the original Ogre Battle on the Super NES. You fight as the Rebellion army, trying to reclaim land the evil Highland Empire has stolen. You move your troops along a number of maps and missions as you conquer enemy territory, liberate cities, collect Tarot card power-ups that help you in battle, and discover a host of hidden characters, spells, and weapons. Adding to the replay value are 13 possible endings that vary depending upon what type of leader you are, what path you take, and what characters and items you uncover on yourjourney.
As the rebel leader, you have detailed and in-depth control of your troops. You can rearrange their formation, change squad leaders, recruit new characters, and even pay off monks to resurrect your dead comrades so you can send them back into battle.
Wounded in Battle
The only thing holding Ogre Battle back from overall game greatness is its graphics. Although certain spells have been enhanced and fill the screen with coolness, the animation of the fights and the pace of the action can't stand up to the new breed of RPGs like Wild Arms and Final Fantasy VII.
OB's classic music resonates with a roar from the speakers. Unfortunately, though, the screams and shrieks of battle aren't as aggressive as the music.
- When all of the Empire's armies on a map have been destroyed, send your troops to all ends of the map to search for hidden items and cities.
- When some of your troops die, head to a Roshan Temple. Here you can pay monks to resurrect your soldiers.
- At the name-entry screen, enter the word "Fireseal" to jump your power to level 15, acquire seven new armies to fight at your side, and battle in a special level for control of the world's dragons.
- Always leave one of your most powerful armies back at your base for protection. If the Empire conquers your base, the
- Don't just liberate cities then leave them behind for the Empire to reclaim. Leave an army in the city for protection.