Darxide game was written in association with Peter Irvin and was published as a SEGA own-brand title. It was labeled as "Best Game on the 32X". It is one of the few games on the 32X to do texture mapping, and as such looks better than many Saturn games. This is because we were able to get software rendered textures at a higher rate than the hardware could manage on the Saturn.
Darxide game is an arcade take on 3D asteroids. A large, outlying asteroid belt has been displaced by aliens, and this is passing into a solar system, causing devastation. The 'take' is from the point of view of the asteroids, and the Miners living on and among them. The player is the lone Starfleet pilot battling to protect the system and save the Miners. Each 'level' is the approach of another planet as the asteroids get further into the system, and success or failure determined by whether any asteroids get through and how the player fares against the opposing alien craft.
Incidentally, this game started life as "Dark Side" but the name was changed at the last minute for trademark reasons.
Download Darxide 32X
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- Game modes: Single game mode
- Up, Down, Left, Right - Arrow keys
- Start - Enter (Pause, Menu select, Skip intro, Inventory)
- "A" Gamepad button - Ctrl (usually Jump or Change weapon)
- "B" button - Space (Jump, Fire, Menu select)
- "C" button - Left Shift (Item select)
Use the F12 key to toggle mouse capture / release when using the mouse as a controller.