A great platform action title, Skeleton Krew is what 16-bit gaming used to be about. Fast fun, good looks, and challenging gameplay make Skeleton Krew a title worth owning.
Monstro City is being taken over by DEAD Inc., which uses mutated life forms known as Psykogenics to do its bidding. Now the military has called in its toughest mercenaries, the Skeleton Krew, to do its bidding. You play as one of three skeletal warriors who blast their way through a 3/4-overhead-view world, looking for money, glory, and Psykogenics to blow away.
You face the intense action with an unlimited supply of bombs and ammo for your rifle. Enemies attack from all sides and in all shapes and forms, so your thumbs will be worn to the bone by the time you blast through the first level. You also have to find doors, move blocks, trigger switches to advance, and figure out minor puzzles in your quest to clean Monstro City.
- To determine weak spots on bosses or other objects, look for the explosion made by a direct hit.
- Each character has their own strengths and weaknesses. Joint is strong but slow. Rib is fast but weak. Spine is the best all-around character.
- Shoot at any weird or unusual markings on the wall. They might be doors.
- You must destroy shield generators to advance past electric fences. Look for the generators near the fences.
No Bones About It
Sharp, distinct graphics impressively portray the game's six backgrounds, which include lava pits, sewers, and factories. Your three mercenaries are also detailed and move fluidly.
The eerie sounds might have added sonic depth if they weren't so repetitive. Minor sound effects don't do much for the game, and while the bomb-dropping noise is hilarious, it's too rude to describe.
As for controls, the 3/4-overhead view is great to look at and suits the action very well, but it's tough to maneuver in. Initially your shots always seem to angle in the wrong direction, no matter which direction you point your joypad. The confusing angle takes some getting used to, but once mastered, it's easy to handle.
A Certain Skull Love
Skeleton Krew is a fast-paced, fun game. For gamers who thrived on the action in Soldiers of Fortune and Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Skeleton Krew is the fibula to their tibia. Skeleton Krew will keep you occupied for hours, and you'll probably be bone-tired afterward.
Download Skeleton Krew
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- Game modes: Single game mode
- Up, Down, Left, Right - Arrow keys
- Start - Enter (Pause, Menu select, Skip intro, Inventory)
- "A" Gamepad button - Ctrl (usually Jump or Change weapon)
- "B" button - Space (Jump, Fire, Menu select)
- "C" button - Left Shift (Item select)
Use the F12 key to toggle mouse capture / release when using the mouse as a controller.