- Manufacturer: DATA EAST
A game in the same vein as the older, mechanical table-hockey coin-ops. Data East brings this head-to-head competition into the '90s.
Download Slap Shot
Sega Master System
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
The sounds of the crowd become a distant buzz as you clutch your stick ready for face off. Sticks clash, as you battle for control of the puck and feed it to your teammate. You tear down the ice at break neck speed and position yourself near the goal. Someone shoots you the puck, and without thinking you whip around, and slap the puck past the goalie and between the pipes! Your team's up, 1-0.
Hockey Your Way
In Sega's Slap Shot for the Master System, you choose between several different play options. In the One Player mode you face off against a computer team of your choice in either Exhibition or Tournament play. In Exhibition play, take on another team for one game. Tournament play pits you against up to three different teams within your league in a quest for the championship. The Two Player mode matches you and the team of your choice against another Player.
In both the One and Two Player Modes, you can select your team from one of three different leagues, each with different skills and difficulty levels. The A League which includes teams like Canada and America, is the toughest. For amateur play, and some practice, go with League C and teams like North Korea and Bulgaria.
Body Check The Boons
The action begins when your team skates onto the ice and lines up for the face off.
Once you're the puck carrier, use a combination of skating and passing to maneuver the puck down the ice to the attack zone and your opponent's goal. It isn't easy going as your opponent is trying to stone your shots or slam you with a body check to knock the puck loose.
When you're on defense use Button 2 to control the player nearest the puck while you try to chase your opponent and block Ns efforts to score. Take a run at an opponent to check them or even use tight checking to really put the pressure on. But be careful! Body check a goon (an especially rough player) and you may find yourself in a brawl!
When one of your teammates is stuck in the box, you're up against a power play while your opponents try to take advantage of their extra player and score.
Each game is a regulation three 20-minute periods long-although game time is faster than real time. After the second period you head into the locker room, where you'll get chewed out by your coach if you're behind. If your game ends in a tie, the pressure gets really tough as you battle it out in an overtime shot contest.
Slap Shot brings great ice hockey action to the Master System for the first time ever. Although the graphics feature players that are slightly smaller than the NES smash hit Blades of Steel, game-play is very similar. And Slap Shot has a great bird's eye view that allows for easier maneuvering of your players and especially your goalie. Get ready to use your edge to put them on ice!
- The minute you tint! yourself in a tight hit Button 1 or 2 as rapidly as possible to throw more punches than your opponent. Whoever loses the brawl heads to the penalty box for two minutes.
- On offense use Button 1 to pass the puck to the nearest teammate. When you're clear, use Button 2 to slam a shot towards the goal. But remember that if you slam a shot from behind the center line and miss, you might get called for icing and sent to the penalty box.
- If you get boxed into a corner by your opponents, try slapping the shot off of the boards to get the puck clear of the goons.
- To avoid letting your opponent score with the power play, try to control the puck to kill the penalty by skating around behind the goal.
- Hit Button 2 as last as you can to have the best chance ol slapping the puck to your teammate.
Here's a hockey game worthy of the Sega Master System. Not only does Slap Shoot allow you to choose from a wide array of play options, including tournament and exhibition modes, team selection, team line-ups and more. Once you get on the ice, Slap Shoot dishes up both a side-scrolling rink where the majority of the action takes place, as well as large screen shots for isolated movements such as going for the goal and fighting. Another good sports update for the SMS.