|a game by||Ringler Studios|
|Editor Rating:||5/10, based on 1 review|
|User Rating:||7.0/10 - 2 votes|
|Rate this game:|
|See also:||Hockey Games|
Lace up your SNES skates and get ready for some of the fastest international hockey action this side of the Winter Olympics. It's time to hit the ice with Virgin's Super Slapshot for the Super NES.
Super Slapshot features 12 teams from across the globe, including the United States and the Soviet Union's powerful Unified Team. Each country's team is rated from Poor to Great in six different categories -- Shooting, Passing, Defense, Power, Speed, and Goaltending. If you're going to make it to the Gold Medal round, you've got to know your team's strengths and weaknesses.
This one- or two-player game lets you choose from either an exhibition mode, which pits any two of the 12 teams against each other, or an eight-team tournament. Play the exhibition or tournament mode against the computer or take on a friend.
Nice Ice, Slick Controls
Super Slapshot's graphics score like a Mario Lemieux backhanded goal. This game's animation is smooth and the players glide across the rink. (A nice touch is the flying ice when a player changes direction.)
However, Super Slapshot's controls leave a little to be desired. Since the action moves along quickly, it's sometimes hard to determine which player you're controlling. You do, however, have the option of switching player control manually or automatically. If you're a novice, you'd better let the computer decide.
- Play lo your team's strength. If you've got a strong defensive team, don't try to make them into a scoring machine.
- Be ready for the rebound goal. Once in a while crank a slapshot from near the blue line. Even if the goalie makes the save, he probably won't be able to trap the puck.
The National Hockey League is trying to cut down on fighting, but you won't find that rule in Super Slapshot -- you can fight as much as you like. A fight can break out at any time, and you can control your players' punches. If that's not rough enough for you, select the fight mode from the main menu, then select any two countries, and go at it. You can also challenge a friend or take on the computer. But watch out, this game is no pushover.
Shoot for the Gold
One of the coolest options in Super Slapshot is the action- packed shootout mode. The format for the shootout is the same as a soccer shootout. Each team lines up for five shot on goal. The team with the most goals wins.
- In the shootout mode, the computer will almost always try to shoot between your goalie's legs on its first shot. Be ready for the save.
- In the fighting mode, move towards your opponent as quickly as possible and press Y three or four time; for a jab. Then, move back to make your opponent miss. Once he stops punching, press X to knock him out with a right hook.
He Shoots! He Scores!
Despite the minor control problems, Super Slapshot has enough options and action to keep any hockey nut entertained for hours. If international hockey is your goal, face off with Super Slapshot.
Download Super Slapshot
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- Pentium II (or equivalent) 266MHz (500MHz recommended), RAM: 64MB (128MB recommended), DirectX v8.0a or later must be installed