|a game by
|6.5/10, based on 2 reviews, 1 review is shown
|6.6/10 - 25 votes
|Rate this game:
|Survival Games, Crafting Games, Best Roguelike Games
It’s not be the most sophisticated of games, but Muck is a title that absolutely fits the expectations for a name of this type. Developed and published by Youtuber, Dani, in response to a comment that they wouldn’t be able to make their own game, this “retaliation” title has gone on to receive excellent success and acclaim from the players.
What is Muck?
Playable as either a single player or multiplayer experience, Muck is a simplistic, roguelike survival, exploration, and base-building game. The game sees players fighting to survive either alone or as part of a team, collecting resources during the day to then attempt to survive the horrors that fall at night.
Some of the key features of the Muck title include crafting, building, and PVP gameplay. With time, players can earn powerups and achievements to make their game easier – but the single fact remains that the game is about surviving for as long as possible, and so there’s never time to get too comfortable, as you could diet at any turn.
There are three game modes available in Muck for players to try: survival, versus, and creative. The choice of mode varies from player to player depending on your personal preferences, allowing gamers to customise their unique gameplay experience to a degree.
Rating and Similar Games
Naturally, the limited graphics in Muck hold the game back, and it’s relatively clear that the game was developed by someone who wasn’t a professional game developer. With that in mind, we can only give the game a rating of 5/10; nevertheless, the amusing gameplay (coupled with the admittedly grotesque deaths in some instances, which fit the overall grisly feel) is admittedly worth a couple of points.
Muck was never intended to be an industry-changing masterpiece – and, with this in mind, credit has to be given. The game offers a good balance between challenge and reward, but players just need to be aware of the potential that they can lose everything in a matter of seconds.
Pros and Cons
- There’s always something new to experience – the procedurally generated islands continually present new challenges and tasks, making each gameplay experience a little different.
- Players can customize their gameplay experience as they see fit, either building a base to protect them from danger or tackling the hordes of enemies head-on when nighttime falls. The choice is yours!
- Multiplayer options allow gamers to pair up with friends to tackle the world and survive against enemies.
- Three game modes, plus the ability to set the game difficulty and player damage presets, allow players to choose the most suitable option for their playing preferences.
- The art style is poor and excessively simplistic, and though the graphics aren’t necessarily intended to be taken seriously, they nevertheless hinder the game to a degree.
- Graphic death scenes make the game unsuitable for younger players and some players may be disturbed by some of the content.