Beauty and the Beast - Roar of the Beast
|a game by||Sunsoft, and The Walt Disney Company|
|Editor Rating:||6/10, based on 2 reviews|
|User Rating:||6.0/10 - 2 votes|
|Rate this game:|
|See also:||Disney Games, Beauty and the Beast Games|
When you first step into the enchanted world of the Beast, you're immediately captivated by the sights and sounds that surround you. Unfortunately, that's just about all that will captivate you, since the beastly game play prevents you from enjoying anything else about this game.
Beast of a Different Color
Roar of the Beast is the action half of Sunsoft's pair of games based on the animated Disney film Beauty and the Beast. You play the Beast, fighting your way through your palace, a snowy forest, and ultimately across the rooftops of the palace to a final showdown with Gaston.
- In the banquet room, just before the room with the Bear boss, you'll find a 1-up above the table.
- In the Snowy Forest, watch out for falling icicles and bear traps hidden in the snow.
The game play is straight action. The Beast moves from one end of the level to the other, destroying all enemies in his path. He lives or dies based on a simple but brutal damage system. His foes are the assorted beasts and creatures of the forest, the nasty villagers, and, of course, Gaston himself.
- To fight the Boar at the end of the Palace, wait until he backs up and stands still, then move in and quickly hit him several times.
- The Beast's most effective and safest form of attack is his pounce.
The Beast has an above-average variety of moves, including standing and crouching attacks, a pounce, and several different swipes with his claws. With a little practice, his moves are easy to control.
Lovely graphics capture the mood of the original Disney film beautifully. The Beast is a large, handsome sprite, with many varied and enchanting animations. The background scenery for each level is breathtakingly detailed.
In this bonus round at the end of the Snowy Forest, collect as many Rose Petals as you can.
The haunting strains of the tunes from the movie complement the action, along with grunts, groans, and growls from the Beast and the other creatures he encounters.
- To defeat the Villagers in Part 3, stand on all four legs and use your giant paw to swipe at them.
- On the Rooftop, purple blocks break away when you stand on them.
What's Wrong With This Picture?
How can a game with gorgeous graphics, good sounds, and solid controls be so unpleasant to play? It's too difficult. Each time you die, you're back to the beginning of the stage, there's only one continue, and 1-ups are scarce. Even advanced gamers will be pulling their fur out in no time at all -- and Sunsoft has indicated that the game is designed with younger children in mind!
Must be child prodigies!
A Tale as Old as Time
Beauty isn't enough to save the Beast this time around. Even though it's a great-looking, good-sounding game, Roar of the Beast's bite is far worse than its bark.
Download Beauty and the Beast - Roar of the Beast
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- Game modes: Single game mode
- Up, Down, Left, Right - Arrow keys
- Start - Enter (Pause, Menu select, Skip intro, Inventory)
- "A" Gamepad button - Ctrl (usually Jump or Change weapon)
- "B" button - Space (Jump, Fire, Menu select)
- "C" button - Left Shift (Item select)
Use the F12 key to toggle mouse capture / release when using the mouse as a controller.
- # of players: 1
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Available: November 1993
- Theme: Action
- Number of Levels: 19
The storm has enchanted the animals around the castle and the Beast must fight his way to the west wing to protect the enchanted rose. He must also fight the packs of killer wolves in the woods, plus ward off the villagers that raid the castle with a little help from Lumiere and Cogsworth. This is a game players will especially enjoy because of the intense action. Because this game is a side-scrolling action adventure with the Beast as the main character, he has many different forms of attacks. The Beast is ready to take on this challenge. See if you can make it to the final battle against Gaston.