In the intergalactic year 25XX, the solar system has been invaded by deadly aliens from beyond the rim of our galaxy. These invaders, known as the Gyrussians, are bent on conquering every star system they encounter, including Earth's!
Gyruss is based on the arcade game of the same name. Although the game play is slightly different here, with plenty of additions and enhancements, anyone who is familiar with the coin-op shouldn't be disappointed. Your ship occupies the outer rim of the screen and circles the perimeter, firing in at the invaders. The game is divided into ten levels, with the setting for each being a different planet or the sun. A wide variety of opponents drift from the center of the void and prove to be extremely challenging. After every planet has been saved you can refine your talents even further (while racking up some big points) during the chance rounds.
30 MAN TRICK
In Gyruss you can receive 30 men at the beginning of play by pressing 'A', 'B', Right, Left, Right, Left, Down, Down, Up, Up, and then start during the title screen and before the demo starts.
During the second round of each planet, you will encounter a quartet of Gyrussian bases. Eliminate these ships with your plasma cannon or with regular shots - they produce enemy craft and speed up play!
BATTLE THE SUN
When you are one warp from the Sun no Gyrussians will attack. Instead, the sun will erupt, sending solar flares toward your ship at lightning speed. Don't try and fight these fireballs, stay at the bottom and avoid them!
Galaxy Boss Attack
Here's all you need to battle the Gyruss Bosses guarding each planet! Blast your way through with these winning tips and free the solar system from the clutches of the hideous invaders!
- Neptune - A Gyrussian base with four pods on the top, bottom, left, and right occupies the screen. Each pod fires 3 shots in clockwise rotation. The pods can only be destroyed when they are open. Concentrate on one pod at a time.
- Pluto - An orb will appear and release 11 green globes that wander about, reaching the edges of the screen to attack, while the orb circles the outer rim. Fire at the globes and watch out because they return fire when hit!
- Uranus - This Boss is similar to Neptune, but instead of firing 3 missiles, each pod releases 2 guided missiles when open. The homing bombs follow your ship but they can be shot. When only one pod remains, 6 bombs are fired.
- Saturn - The Saturn Boss has six pods that fire homing missiles and indestructable barriers. Circle and follow the opening pods In a clockwise direction. There is a delay between the top and bottom pods - draw off the barriers.
- Jupiter - A large meteor circles the outer rim, releasing meteors as it goes. Once the large meteor has been hit 4 times, an alien organism is revealed. The alien uses two tentacles to reach out and attack. Concentrate shots on the alien.
- Mars - This Boss has 8 pods that fire 3-shot spreads. At the same time, pods at the top, bottom, left, and right release blue barriters that drift to the edge and quickly separate. Concentrate on these pods first - then destroy the rest.
- Earth - Each ship rotates in the middle of the screen, although the blue ship spins very fast. Orange shoots dual missiles, purple fires homing bombs, and blue shoots plasma balls. The last ship spins quickly - don't stay in one place.
- Venus - The Venus Boss has 8 pods that shoot 3-shot sprays, destructable barriers, and indestructable barriers come from the top, right, bottom, and left. Use same technique as Mars Boss and avoid additional enemy fire.
- Mercury - This Boss uses meteors that are released from special pods. Meteors reach out toward the edge to attack and then return to brain. Bubble explodes when pods are destroyed revealing Brain that fires lasers. Circle clockwise.
- The Sun - The final Boss shoots sun bursts at high speed. Avoid them and concentrate your fire on the sun itself. Once the sun has been hit enough, a giant eye is revealed that shoots smaller destructable eyes. Shoot these to get a good shot at the main eye. As more damage is sustained, the Eye will fire lasers so keep moving! Stay at the bottom, clear out the small eyes, and shoot until the solar system is free!
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- P-200, 32 MB RAM
- Manufacturer: Ultra
- Machine: NES
Here's a tip that James Mora of Los Angeles, California, came up with. When you see the title screen, hit the following sequence to get 30 free ships: A, B, R, L, R, L, D, D, U, U. Timing is critical, so you may have to do it a couple of times before you get it right. Note that this is the opposite of the Gradius/Contra/Life Force hints we've printed previously. Nice find, James!
Blast your fighter across the galaxy on a mission to defeat the aliens invading our solar system!
Conquer the enemy ships around each of the nine planets and the sun!