When nerd deluxe, Melvin Junko, fell into the vat of Grossolium 90, the world, and especially Tromaville, was never the same again. That's because the awful toxic waste transformed Melvin into Toxie, a hideously deformed creature with superhuman strength and a kind heart.
Toxie's a cult movie star (as the Toxic Avenger), and he has his own cartoon show. Now he cleans up the NES in Toxic Crusaders by Bandai.
Toxic Crusader is an above average, side-view, horizontally-scrolling, action/adventure game. Toxie's out to defend Tromaville, and the rest of the U.S., from the polluting ways of Dr. Killemoff and his Radiation Rangers. As an added challenge, he has to rescue his mutant pals, the Toxic Crusaders, from Killemoff's corrosive clutches.
If you're a fan of the cartoon show, you'll groove to this game's graphics and sound. The pixs are straight-out of the toob, and they're good 8-bit quality. The rendition of the Toxic Crusader theme song will bring a tear to the eyes of real Toxic Crusader fans... or is that the smog?
Toxie's solo quest takes him through six levels of sludge, slime, and goop.
He's got to make a clean sweep of Tromaville and some of its most famous sites, such as Tromaville High School, Tromaville Factory, Tromaville Highway, Tromaville Sewer, and Island City. If you beat the level bosses, you'll eventually find all the Toxic Crusaders -Nozone, Major Disaster, Headbanger, and Junkyard. Even Toxie's girlfriend Yvonne and, of course, Mom are there. Out to turn you into sewer sludge are the Toxic Crusader bad guys that everyone loves to hate: Psycho, Bonehead, Mayor Grody, and Dr. Killemoff.
It's Cleanup Time!
Toxic Crusaders dish out a satisfying dosage of hop and bop action...well, actually mop and sock is more like it. Toxie's only moves are a jump and a punch. However, for powerful cleanup chores, he can swing a mean Mop when he finds it.
- The best way to progress through Level 2 is to power up the Mop to Power Level Three. It will then attack like a boomerang. You can power up by smashing Cans in Level 2's very first section. It's almost worth it to restart the level if you don't.
- Remember, with the Mop at Level Three power, you can punch while it's flying through the air.
The solid, responsive Controls match Toxie's spartan moves. However, it's a breeze to make Toxie do your bidding. That's good, because Toxic Crusaders will sprain your thumbs and drain your brain!
Beat Boss Polluto at the end of Level 1 by standing in front of his gross belly. When he's about to puff his cheeks to blow slime at you, jump and punch his snout.
Don't expect to wipe the place up with this game. In fact, it will probably make novice gamers and little kids cry. The Radiation Rangers and the disgusting level bosses show no mercy and they attack you relentlessly. There's radioactive slime and goo everywhere. Toxie's even got to ride a skateboard through one level. At least completing a level rewards you with a password, which is some relief from the traumas of Tromaville.
- Use a close-in attack to beat Radiation Rangers. They won't fire their guns or toss their buckets of slime if you're too close to them. However, some will jump at you.
- When Bonehead tries to drive his bike over you at the end of Level 2, jump over him and punch his noggin'. Then move away from him to the edge of the screen. That way his noxious splashes can't hit you.
- Stay alert when you walk by windows. Also, for a mutant, Toxie's fragile. You get three lives with eight Hearts per life, but you'll need every edge you can find. Your Mop's your only weapon, but you'll have a tough time holding onto it as the Radiation Rangers pummel you.
- Rolling cans, which contain power items, roll in threes across three parts of the screen - top, middle, and bottom. Walk down the middle of the screen and you can always smash the first one. Usually, only one of them holds the helpful item.
Toxic Crusader is a gem in the goo. Ninja Gaiden and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles it ain't, but it's darn near the next best thing. Toxie fights a tough fight and looks pretty good doing it, too. Toxic Crusader fans will definitely want to mop up Dr. Killemoff and clean up Tromaville, but they'd best be prepared for a fierce fight.
This game's better than you might expect. With a name like "Toxic", it's gotta be good!
Download Toxic Crusaders
Take the role of Toxi, out to stop the dastardly plans of Dr. Killimoff. Use your trusty mop in the ultimate battle against evil. Get ready, because it's clean up time!
Tromaville is in a trashy trouble and a trio of mop-slinging heroes must try to clean up the city. Choose to play as any of the three Toxic Crusaders in this one-player, side- scrolling adventure that's packed with dirty fun. Glide through Tromaville on your skateboard, but you'll have to hoof it over trains and other grimy grounds. All you wanted to do was visit your blonde babe, Yvonne, but the slimy slugs that parachuted their way into town are big trouble. Now it's up to you to mop up this toxic mess.