Virtual Pinball by Electronic Arts dishes out a fine-looking decent game of pins, but hardcore players may find the game a little too clean and a tad too tame. Crue Ball (another well-crafted EA pinball game) is a little more raw, a little more hairy, and consequently a little more exciting for Pinheads. However, the beauty of this cart is that you can build your own pinball board.
Play the Silver Ball
If you just want to whack some steelies, you can play on 21 preset tables. The game's overhead view competently follows the dizzying action of your ball as it careens across the multi-screen layouts.
- "Catch" balls with the flippers by hitting the button to make them roll gently against the flipper and stop moving. Then you can aim your shots.
- Sometimes it pays not to use the top-side Flippers on boards where the upper half action is hot.
- Identify Targets and Special Tracks before you put your ball in play. Then aim 'em to rack up the points.
The pinball play is fast, lively, and wild-looking, but it's a bit too easy. Every table is so packed with bumpers, flippers, tracks, and other pinball-paraphernalia that it's easy to keep your ball in play.
The graphics are dazzling. There's a style for every taste and mood, including gore, high-tech, classical, or industrial.
The pulsating sounds will rattle your eardrums. The music blasts several rocking, techno-groove tunes. The sharp effects range from bells to shrieks of pain.
- Since Button B nudges the machine, use it to shake balls around comers or into tight spots.
- During multi-ball action, the on-screen view follows the regular ball, but the additional balls are still in play even if you can't see them. So, keep that flipper action going!
Roll Your Own
Creating a Virtual Pinball board is a kick, but it takes time, thought, experimentation... and patience. In Workshop mode, you move an easy-to- use Construction Tool around the screen to position various pinball mechanisms on your board. You can build a table from scratch using 11 basic backgrounds, or you can modify any of the existing 21 tables. You choose from eight types of devices, including Bumpers, Flippers, Kick Walls, and Tracks, in eight styles with 256 parts. You can even save up to 10 tables.
There's nothing like real pinball! However, if you're any kind of pin pro, Virtual Pinball should at least make you get off your behind and seek out some real flipper action. The real thing features bright lights, unique sounds, and crazy kinetic action. This game is virtually similar.
Download Virtual Pinball
- PC compatible
- Operating systems: Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 7/2000/Vista/WinXP
- Game modes: Single game mode
- Up, Down, Left, Right - Arrow keys
- Start - Enter (Pause, Menu select, Skip intro, Inventory)
- "A" Gamepad button - Ctrl (usually Jump or Change weapon)
- "B" button - Space (Jump, Fire, Menu select)
- "C" button - Left Shift (Item select)
Use the F12 key to toggle mouse capture / release when using the mouse as a controller.
- Manufacturer: Electronic Arts
- # of players: 1 to 4
- Difficulty: Moderate
- Available: December 1993
- Theme: Action
Electronic Arts takes you into a new realm of pinball games with Virtual Pinball. Forget anything you have ever seen in a pinball game, this one has it all. And if you feel it doesn't, you can create and design a game to your own liking and save it in the memory - up to eight in all. This one- to four-player game is an option's dream. Choose from several game levels, like Mandala, where you take control of seven sets of flippers, or Wide Plan, which is one big blueprint. Next change the board's background - from gore to bamboo, the possibilities are endless. Then change the parts, skill levels, action speed, and if that is still not enough - choose from seven types of music. E.A. left nothing out of this one!
Electronic Arts' latest venture, entitled Virtual Pinball, has a number of noteworthy features. Among the many levels of game play, you have the ability to change the basic structure of the bumpers, paddles, and other aspects. You can change the motif from the traditional flippers, to a blood and guts gore fest. You can also select your background and music. Virtual Pinball also has a lot of difficulty settings, so no matter how good you get, you'll always be going up hill. Virtual Pinball is a really good pinball game.