An unwelcome guest, Borbon, is making life in the Kingdom of Penguins very unhappy. Borbon cast a wicked spell over items like pencils and paper clips and turned them into evil creatures. Now they're trapping all of the penguins in the castle. You become Pendrich, penguin hero, and use your speed and agility to beat the clock by removing all of the nasty obstacles from the 40 rooms of the castle. Hey, with a little help from you this classy guy in the permanent tux will rescue the kingdom in no time at all.
Download Amazing Penguin
Life in the kingdom of penguins was always happy and festive. How could it not be? After all, they sport permanent mini-tuxedos! Alas, the festivities came to a screeching halt one day when an unwelcome guest named Borbon decided that the penguins were having too much fun. Using his wicked magic, Borbon cast an evil spell over all the pencils, erasers, crayons, and metal clips, turning them into wicked creatures. With the help of his newly animated servants, Borbon blocked all of the passageways of the castle, trapping the penguins.
Fearing for the lives of his subjects, the king called upon the fastest and bravest penguin in the kingdom, his son Prince Pendrich. The burden of undoing Borbon's spell now rests on the tiny shoulders of Pendrich. However, before he can get to Borbon's hideaway, Pendrich must first travel through the expanses of the castle and de-animate all of Borbon's servants.
Pendrich's trek takes him through the entire 40 room layout of the penguin castle. Each room is divided into small areas called "panels". Racing against the clock, it's Pendrich's task to remove from the panels all pencils, erasers, paper clips, etc. To do this Pendrich must make use of two, different types of dots (black ones and white ones) called "seals".
Found along the walkways, seals can be used in different ways. By kicking the black seals at the enemy, Pendrich can knock those outta' control office supplies right off the screen and into oblivion! The white seals, on the other hand, can be used for more strategic purposes. Each time Pendrich picks up a white seal, the enemy will automatically reverse the direction in which it's moving.
Talkin' 'Bout My Re-Generation
Pendrich's great speed and agility are a big plus for getting through the first 20 rooms of the castle. Once you pass the hatf-way mark, however, it's going to take not only speed, but planning and strategy as well. Also, not all rooms have the white seals which is very unfortunate, as their direction-changing powers are very handy when Pendrich is in danger of being cornered.
There's no doubt about it, this is one perilous penguin-journey. Frustration, panic, elation - you'll feel them all. Each time you master a room, though, you'll receive that much needed burst of glory which is just what you need to carry on. A minor problem: Pendrich is a little guy, making him a bit difficult to find amidst all the panels and creatures in the upper levels. Overall, Amazing Penguin is a great, enjoyable one-player challenge.
- Erasers and Paper Clips (the most often encountered enemies) will never travel down the length of a room without turning oft at the point where the panel sections meet, forming a corner.
- Don't challenge an Eraser to a race! More simply put, when Pendrich travels across a pathway in one direction and an Eraser travels towards him in the opposite direction, make a quick guesstimate of Pendrich's distance from the seal before proceeding. Why? If Pendrich doesn't have a good head-start on the enemy, he will rarely have enough time to reach the seal and still get into the optimal kick-position, before getting killed.
- The higher the room number, the greater the number of panels to be cleared. Because ol this, it is a good idea to stick to one panel and complete it, before moving on to the next.
- Erasers and Paper Clips have a very annoying habit ol regenerating almost anywhere, anytime. Be especially wary of the corners, that is where they will most often regenerate.
- Enemies will blink on and oil as they regenerate. Unfortunately, while they're Hashing they're also invincible. The moral ol the story: Don't waste a seal on them.
- Use both types ot seals to fling several enemies off the screen at the same time! How? Position Pendrich in Iront of either a white or a black seal. Then, wait for a couple of enemies to come skating along the same line. When they do, simply grab the seal and both ot them will be carried away at once. Also, if there is one black seal left inside ot a panel, and two or more enemies come into the panel, all Pendrich has to do is kick the seal (not necessarily at an enemy), and oil they go!