Monster Hunter Stories
|a game by
|Capcom, and Marvelous Inc.
|8/10, based on 1 review
|10.0/10 - 1 vote
|Rate this game:
|Anime Games, Manga Games, RPGs, Games Like Persona 5, Games Like Pokemon, Monster Hunter Series
Monster Hunter Stories is a role-playing video game developed by Capcom and Marvelous, and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo 3DS. It is a spinoff title in the series and features a different gameplay focus than its predecessors. The game allows players to take on the role of a Rider and engage in traditional turn-based battles. The game was initially released in Japan in 2016, and later in North America, Europe, and Australia in 2017.
About the game
Unlike the previous Monster Hunter games, the focus of Monster Hunter Stories is on collecting and hatching monster eggs, befriending monsters, and battling alongside them. The game incorporates a turn-based battle system, where players can execute special kinship techniques to improve their chances of winning. Players can also customize their monsters' abilities and appearance, making each monster unique. The game includes both a single-player campaign and multiplayer features, where players can team up with others to take on powerful monsters.
One of the key features of Monster Hunter Stories is the egg hatching mechanic. Players can collect eggs from various monsters and hatch them to add new monsters to their collection. The monsters can then be trained and customized to suit the player's preferences. The game also includes a robust battle system, where players can use items and skills to gain an advantage over their opponents. The turn-based battles add a new layer of strategy to the game, forcing players to think carefully about their moves.
Comparison with Similar Games
Monster Hunter Stories can be compared to Pokemon, another popular monster-collecting game. Both games feature a similar mechanic where players collect monsters and train them to battle against opponents. However, Monster Hunter Stories adds a new layer of strategy with its turn-based battle system and kinship techniques. The game also has a darker and more mature tone than Pokemon, appealing to older players looking for a more challenging experience.
Overall, Monster Hunter Stories is a unique and enjoyable addition to the Monster Hunter franchise. The egg hatching mechanic and turn-based battles add a new level of depth to the game, while the ability to customize monsters and execute kinship techniques adds a new layer of strategy. The game's graphics and sound design are impressive, bringing the world of Monster Hunter to life on the Nintendo 3DS.
While the game may not appeal to fans of the previous Monster Hunter games who are used to real-time combat, it offers a refreshing change of pace for those looking for something different.
- Unique focus on collecting and hatching monster eggs adds depth to the Monster Hunter franchise
- Turn-based battle system adds a refreshing change of pace from real-time combat
- Ability to customize monsters and execute kinship techniques adds a new level of strategy
- Impressive graphics and sound design bring the world of Monster Hunter to life on the Nintendo 3DS
- May not appeal to fans of previous Monster Hunter games who are used to real-time combat
- RNG-based egg hatching system can be frustrating at times
- Difficulty can be uneven, with some battles being too easy while others are frustratingly difficult
- Multiplayer features are limited, which may disappoint players looking for more social interaction