QuackShot Starring Donald Duck
Once in a while a game comes along that's beautiful to look at and a challenge to play. Among Genesis games, Strider and Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse come to mind. But those two don't hold a candle to Quackshot starring Donald Duck. This game was programmed by the same team that created Castle of Illusion and it's even more graphically stunning, features superb music, and on a scale of 1 to 10, earns an 11 for difficulty!
Around the World in Four Megs
In this world-hopping action/adventure game, Donald becomes an "Indiana Duck" explorer type as he tries to locate the Great Duck Treasure of King Garuzia. However, big bad Pete gets wind of Donald's quest and he wants in on the action, too.
Donald's search covers nine international locales (and three secret bonus rounds). You start in Duckberg, U.S.A., but thereafter you plot your own course around the globe through destinations such as Egypt, the South Pole, Mexico, or even Transylvania.
ProTip: In Dracula's Castle (Level 3) look for a way out in the ceiling, otherwise you're caught in a repeating maze. Have Plunger, Will Travel
In this sideview, horizontally scrolling hop and bop game, Donald does all the typical hero things -- run, dash, jump, shoot, and slide.
Each level's packed with duck-defying adversaries such as boxing turtles, birds with bee hive bombs, cactus people, bewitching snake charmers, and Pete's heinous henchmen. There are five boss meanies including Dracula, the Viking Spirit, and King Garuzia's Ghost.
Donald fights off the criminal crowd with Plunger-shooters, Bubble Gum Blasters, and Popcorn Guns, but that's not all. Shoot a red plunger at a wall and you can use it to climb to other locations. A green plunger sticks to birds that carry you even higher. Eat some red peppers and Donald flies into a fist-flinging frenzy of feathers and fluff.
- Return to Gyro Gearloose in Duckberg whenever you're low on Bubble Gum ammo.
- In Duckberg, after you get your Red Plunger, scale the wall to the right of your flag to see the rest of the city and find Gyro Gearloose.
- The Tiger boss of the Maharajah level can only be hit while he's in the air. Jump and shoot right after he lands on the ground. To avoid his fire breath, shoot a plunger at the wall and use it for an extra high jump.
- It takes six Red peppers to start Donald's tantrum. If you decide to eat them in the early part of the game, eat five and save the sixth for the Maharajah level. You'll need it.
Good Luck Duck
This isn't your typical "run to the right, kill the boss" kind of deal. You select your destination, but you might arrive there without the key item you need from another level. Fa example, you must go to Egypt to get the Staff of Rah, but you can't get inside the pyramid until you have the Sphynx Tear. Where do you find it? Good question. On some levels you jump blindly into space to hopefully land on an invisible platform. In others you must tippy toe across platforms floating over a one hundred foot drop. One false step in either scenario or you're a dead duck.
A Game You'll Treasure
If you're looking for a show stopper along the lines of Castle of Illusion, that's a million times harder even with unlimited continues but has more fun junk to do, run don't waddle to buy Quackshot. Even if you don't find Garuzia's Treasure, you'll have a Genesis treasure of your very own.
Download QuackShot Starring Donald Duck
- Type: Action
- Levels: 9+
- Release: November 1991
- Difficulty: Avg.
Donald Duck is in search of treasure once again, this time for King Garuzia's Great Duck treasure. Donald's journey leads him to nine different lands, with his mischievous cousins, Huey, Dewey, and Louie. You're equipped with a plunger pistol that will allow you to sneak past enemies with a single blast, or use the plungers to scale the walls. Sega has turned another cartoon favorite into an action packed game!
Quack Shot is the best of the Disney games so far, featuring not only the best all-around graphics, but also the best play technique! It's your standard side-scroller to be true, but there are so many more options available to Donald that this game simply rises above similar efforts.
Quack Shot is one spectacular game. It has the same great game play as the original Mickey and that was one hard act to follow. Donald animates very well and the game doesn't get too difficult for the younger players. Great backgrounds!
I don't have anything against Donald, but Mickey's is just a much cooler hero. The graphics in this cart are very good, and the variety of the levels is also nice. The game play needs a little work as it tends to get repetitive after many levels. The music is kind of weak.
The only real problem I had with Quack Shot was the common nature of the game's goals which seldom change. The presentation is rendered nicely and the challenge, while a bit on the tame side, never lets up to the point of becoming boring. Keep 'em coming' Sega!
Donald is here and he's on a journey of a lifetime. Explore the ancient ruins in search of hidden treasure. Enemies will try to stop you on your quest!
Hot on the heels of Mickey comes Donald Duck! The same attention to detail is built into this soft. Very smooth animation, great graphics and a 'fun' quest!
Everyone knows Donald Duck's got a temper. Just the same, it's still tough to beat the last boss in Quackshot, especially when you're not toting anything more powerful than a Plunger and a Bubble Gun. If you can keep from quacking up, we'll show you how to waddle straight to the end of the game.
- To escape from the castle, moving wall section. Fire plungers onto the wall, and jump for your life! When you reach the top, exit stage right.
- To reach the castle tower and the climactic battle, Donald has to make a leap of faith. Just jump and magic platforms appear. Now you're face to face with a knightly duck. All that stands between Donald and the treasure is a little sword-to-plunger combat.
- Stand above and a little to the left of Sir Duck. This cons the old boy into tossing his sword, even though you're out of range.
- Now fire a plunger at the wall to your right. Jump on the plunger and you won't get hit by falling blocks.
- Now jump to the ground and fire until the duck knight's sword reappears. Repeat this procedure until Sir Duck is done for. It takes about 12-15 hits to can this metallic mallard.
- Once Donald is victorious, he's judged worthy of the treasure. Of course, Daisy's waiting for her part of the loot. When she gets the goods, Donald gets his reward. They live happily ever after... or, at least until Donald flies south for the winter.
Donald was just ducky until he found an ancient treasure map. Now he's waddling off in search of the Great Duck Treasure. In Quackshot, by Sega, Donald Duck must wade through 10 levels of horizontally and vertically scrolling adventure-style game-play to locate the missing loot. Gorgeous Disney graphics and animation bring Donald and his bird-brained enemies (Big Bad Pete, the Ducky Gang, ghosts, crafty cacti, and more) to life in a style similar to Fantasia and Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. Now don't quack up -- Donald defends himself via a few unusual devices -- namely plungers! He also pulls some mean moves with popcorn and bubblegum. Of course, everyone knows Donald has a bad temper -- but wait'll you see his Quack Attack. Donald's adventures look just quazy enough to be a big hit with fans of Sega's previous Disney adventures. Stay tuned for the next issue -- we'll pluck this one in greater depth.